Connect with us

Lifestyle

Residents Challenge Late-Night Hours of Rolling Meadows Festival

Editorial

Published

on

Residents near the upcoming Rolling Meadows Festival are voicing their concerns over the event’s extended hours, which run from noon until 2 a.m. daily. The festival is scheduled to take place from December 29, 2025 to January 1, 2026, on Lower Styx Road. Several local residents, led by Betty Chapman, have initiated a petition urging festival organizers to reconsider the late-night schedule.

Chapman expressed that while locals appreciate concerts, they believe events should adhere to more traditional hours. “We’re concerned at the festival going on all day until 2 a.m. or later,” she stated. “We’re going to hear that booming bass all night.” The festival, which features over 80 acts across four stages, has previously drawn crowds of up to 7,000 attendees when held over two days in Waipara, North Canterbury.

This year’s festival has been relocated to a 62-hectare site on Lower Styx Road and expanded to three days. Chapman noted that of the approximately 30 properties affected, a core group of eight residents has raised concerns. She highlighted that noise could disturb residents in nearby areas like Prestons and Burwood, depending on wind direction.

Community engagement has been minimal, according to Chapman. She recounted a conversation between one of the festival organizers and her husband while she was away, during which she felt dismissed when told that no one else had complained. “I thought, what the… It’s the first time I’ve ever hung up on someone in more than 10 years,” Chapman remarked.

Several residents, including those who often leave for the holidays, are worried about the potential impact on their properties. Despite the organizers offering to cover alternative accommodation for residents during the festival, Chapman emphasized the preference to remain in their homes. “Our properties won’t be safe; we won’t be safe,” she added.

Traffic congestion is another concern for residents. Chapman pointed out that the festival could bring in up to 10,000 people, placing additional strain on local roads, which are already narrow. She mentioned the potential complications from the annual New Year’s Day gala at nearby Spencerville, questioning how the community would manage the expected influx of visitors.

Having lived in the area for 14 years, Chapman said the festival’s scale was unexpected. “We would never have bought there if we knew something like this could happen,” she remarked, noting that many residents chose the area for its peaceful lifestyle.

Preparations for the festival have already begun, despite the Christchurch City Council not yet granting resource consent. Mark Stevenson, the council’s head of planning and consents, confirmed that the council is currently reviewing a revised proposal for the festival. “We are awaiting further information from the applicant to continue processing the application,” he stated.

The festival lineup is expected to be announced on Monday, but organizers have not yet responded to requests for comment regarding the residents’ concerns. As the community continues to rally for changes, the outcome of their petition will be closely watched in the lead-up to this much-anticipated event.

The team focuses on bringing trustworthy and up-to-date news from New Zealand. With a clear commitment to quality journalism, they cover what truly matters.

Trending

Copyright © All rights reserved. This website offers general news and educational content for informational purposes only. While we strive for accuracy, we do not guarantee the completeness or reliability of the information provided. The content should not be considered professional advice of any kind. Readers are encouraged to verify facts and consult relevant experts when necessary. We are not responsible for any loss or inconvenience resulting from the use of the information on this site.